Wednesday, April 27, 2011

So what is power?

Getting the first paper that we wrote for our course brings back some interesting memories. One of my initial reactions to the question “what is power?” left me thinking how this was the most ridiculous assignment ever. Not only did we not know how we were supposed to really approach the question, besides “answering the question” but I also had no clue to what I was supposed to do! Another reaction that I had was “what does this have to do with Mesopotamia?” Apparently this class was about the social powers in Mesopotamia, which was new news to me, but still had my interest. It took me awhile to get started, and after asking the opinions of my friends (is that cheating?) I was able to write it out. Now about my paper…I have no clue what was going through my head. Fall semester I had taken an anthropology class, where we had to write a TON of essays. I guess my mind was still in that anthro mindset. I did not cite any sources in my paper, nor did I link any of my arguments with anything Mesopotamian related. If I were told to write a paper on what power is now, I would probably use Mann’s article, even if at times he kind of sounded like a know-it-all. As for my arguments, I think I make a valid point, and I’m sure that if I was told to make it an entire research paper, that there is someone who can support my argument. It seems very long ago, and I believe that my writing has improved, which means that this class was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment