Thursday, April 28, 2011

Power: then and now

Wow, reading over my essay from the beginning of the year was fun. My analysis of power was limited to its semantic properties and destinations (ex: individuals, the digestive system, the workplace). While I did briefly explore the example of a Manhattan doctor's relationship with power, the scope of my analysis of power was quite limited. This is a prime example of my lack of consideration, or perhaps even contemplation, before taking "NES R1B 004 Brown."

The conclusions of my analysis were as follows: authority is synonymous with power or, conversely, power exists in all things (living and non-living). Over the course of the semester, I have seen examples of these themes in ancient Mesopotamian history. For instance, kings in Uruk, Babylonia, and Assyria utilized their military might, diplomatic strategies, or economic prowess to exert control over others. Additionally, though, I think the rapid procession of "legitimate kings" in the Sargonid period serve as support for the assertion that power is contained in everything. Perhaps, to go a step further, the ancient Mesopotamian's association of celestial presence with inanimate objects and organisms of nature are also testaments to the existence of "power" in all things.

Now that I have absorbed several narratives and reviews of the goings-on in ancient Uruk, Babylonia, and Assyria, an essay prompt, such as "What is power?", would have a very different meaning to me. In this capacity, I suppose that Early Forms of Social Powerhas impacted my thought process associated with certain words in the English language. This, I think, is a very positive thing. Now, I am in a position of knowledge in regard to issues such as power, kingship, the organizations of power, divination, and Hammurabi. whereas before, my only knowledge of these terms was semantic or shallowly referential.

No comments:

Post a Comment